Wednesday, December 19, 2012

12 Days of Christmas - Robin Covington

Done all your Christmas shopping yet? Baking? I've just done my last batch of shortbread (which turned out very well, if I do say so myself) and so now it's time to swap the rolling pin for my keyboard and get on with bringing you all Day Ten of:
The 12 Days of Christmas
Food and Romance
Blogging Extravanganza! 

My awesome guest today is Robin Covington. Robin is the author of hot and spicy romances and I've had the blessed good fortune to have her as a CP for the past little while. We've both made the leap into being published around the same time, and she has been an invaluable sounding board for me. Not to mention the fact that I love reading her books! You must definitely check out "A Night of Southern Comfort". The hero, Jackson, is drop-dead sexy. (And when you get to the end, you need to turn the page to the dedication, where *ahem* you might just see my name...! Still so totally chuffed about that.)

Robin has dug into her family vault for another treasured recipe -- this time something I've never heard of! But I'm thinking I want her to whip me up a batch of Divinity and send it my way!!

My Mama’s Divinity Candy Recipe
by Robin Covington

Thanks Emmie for having me today! 

In my house we are in full on Christmas mode and my kiddos are eagerly waiting for Santa to come bearing gifts of Legos, Barbies and Nintendo games.  Once I am off work on Thursday we will start baking, making Gingerbread houses, and making divinity candy for the holiday. 
The stunning decorations at Robin's house! 
If you’ve never had divinity candy – it is a sweet, airy confection – that melts in your mouth.  (If you don’t want to make it, I recommend ordering it from Savannah Candy http://www.savannahcandy.com/product/Classic-Southern-Divinity-Candy/)

My Mama made the candy when I was growing up but only at Christmas so it was a special treat that signaled the beginning of the holiday.  We would then spend the weeks leading up to the big day sneaking pieces out of the tins in the kitchen and hoping we didn’t get caught. (It’s a miracle we didn’t end up on the naughty list!)

Divinity is a southern tradition – like collard greens and corn bread – and I am proud to carry it on. This year my daughter is seven and I will have her help me with it and we’ll make our own memories. I am so glad that I have the family recipe to pass down to her and I look forward to sharing stories with her as we create the yummy treats.

Happy Holidays  and Peace in the New Year to you and yours!

Ingredients
2 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
3   egg whites
3/4 cup cold water
1 cup white corn syrup
4 cup sugar


Directions
In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stir together the sugar, corn syrup, and water.  Stir only until sugar has dissolved. Do not stir after this point. Cook syrup mixture until it reaches 255 degrees on a candy thermometer, bringing it to a hard ball stage.

While the syrup is cooking, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Once the sugar mixture reaches 255 degrees, carefully pour a slow steady stream of syrup into the stiffly beaten egg whites, beating constantly at high speed. Add the vanilla and continue to beat until mixture holds its shape, approximately 5 minutes.  Stir in pecans.

Using two spoons, drop the divinity onto waxed paper, using one spoon to push the candy off the other.  This may take a little practice because the technique is to twirl the pushing spoon, making the candy look like the top of a soft serve ice cream.  If the candy becomes too stiff, add a few drops of hot water.  You will need to work fast when making this type of candy.

Let sit for 30 minutes and serve.


The very best news from Robin is that she has a new book out! Just in time for Christmas, you can sample  her new wonderfully hot and romantic novella - Secret Santa Baby

Whoa! That cover!! Pass me the brandy custard, please, I've got some things I need to, uh, discuss, with "Santa"... 




And  don't forget my challenge to you all! As part of TDoCFaRBE I'm encouraging you all to undertake a Random Act of Kindness throughout the festive season. To make it super-easy, you can simply send Random Acts a donation and wear a smile all day.


3 comments:

  1. Hi, Robin. I really enjoyed 'A Night Of Southern Comfort.' The hero on your new book looks sweet and sexy enough to melt in your mouth, just like the Divinity candy. I'm getting a crick in my neck, trying to look at him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. M - Thank you so much for having me! I will have to send you some divinity candy - you will love it! Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yummmmo. I'm going to have to make me some of that divinity candy! Thanks so much for the recipe xx

    ReplyDelete