Friday, January 6, 2012

Friday Favorites -- Getting set for the new year

I'm not usually one for making a long list of new year's resolutions. What I've found is that it's better to just come up with one simple idea and use it as a kind of "theme" for the year.

In 2012, my theme for the year is: Have more fun.


That's not to say that I didn't have any fun in 2011. It was a year that certainly came with its highlights (a big birthday party to start the year, a holiday in New Orleans, multiple trips to Hong Kong for work -- not to mention getting two books sold!). But it was also a year filled with a lot of very hard work.

Somewhere along the way, buried under lots of work and responsibilities, I feel like I lost a bit of my sense of fun. I think I noticed it most when I was part of the scavenger hunt back in Nov/Dec, because although I wouldn't want to spend my life doing exceptionally silly things like that, I really noticed how much fun I was having just playing around.

So, for 2012. More fun. More silliness. More spontaneity. More making an effort to get my bum off the couch even when I'm tired. Less worrying. Less work intruding into all hours of the day and night (and weekends). Less introspection, more insurrection!

4 comments:

  1. Excellent resolution! My one s to not take work so seriously. I love my job but it isn't the most important thing in the world and I can let it go once in a while.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emmie - good post and I like your idea of more fun and silliness for 2012.

    Like you I also sometimes feel weighted down in work, writing and responsibilities. I'm lucky my (almost) 4 year old is so funny - he makes me laugh with silly jokes and smiles. What a treasure!!

    Congrats on the 2 book release - well done, especially as you juggle work and travel.

    Wishing you all the best for 2012 (with lots of fun!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great resolution, Robin. I probably need to learn the same!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Joanne -- wishing you a brilliant year too -- with lots of fun and lots of time for writing!!

    ReplyDelete